Why does my computer not work?
There are hundreds of different reasons a computer may not work. Before trying to fix a non-working computer, you must first identify what part of the computer is causing it not to work. Below are the steps to help fix your computer with links to related pages that will help fix a specific type of computer problem. Although some of these steps may seem too basic, it is important you review all of these sections to help correctly identify the problem.
Is the computer getting power?
When looking at the front of the computer, do you see any lights? Are the fans moving and blowing air from the computer? If there are no lights, moving fans, or it appears the computer is not turning on it has a power related problem. See the steps below for all power related troubleshooting steps.
Is anything seen on the screen?
If there are power lights on the computer, fans are moving, or it appears the computer is turning on but does not show anything on the screen you may have a display problem.
- No display or black screen on a computer monitor.
- My laptop computer screen is black.
- When booting the computer, I receive several beeps.
The computer is getting an error message
If you're getting any error messages, write down the error and search for that error message. Computer Hope and millions of other Internet sites have documents relating to error messages with the steps that can be followed to fix those error messages.
The computer keyboard or mouse are not working
- No keys on my keyboard work.
- My laptop mouse touchpad is not working.
- Mouse not being detected or working in Windows.
The computer was working fine but now is acting strange
Tip: If you cannot restart the computer because it is frozen or the keyboard and mouse are not working, your only option is to press and hold down the power button for a few seconds until the computer turns off. Once the computer is off, you can turn the computer back on to restart the computer.
- What should I do if my computer does not boot into Windows?
- Computer questions and answers.
- How can I learn more about computers?
- See our troubleshooting page for related information and links.
- Basic computer troubleshooting.